Sunday, April 6, 2008

Reading backlog

It's Michelle. Here's the news from the front:

During holy week, I read Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott (272 pgs). It is a hilarious and inspirational read. Whenever I need a smile, I read the story about her "Aunties" that she takes to the beach.

In the fifth grade, I've been reading Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (144 pgs) during their silent reading time. It is a beautiful book that I wish I had read when I was younger. It is about a girl during World War II who helps protect the Jewish family next door during the Nazi occupation.

In the sixth grade, they get to choose between several novels to read. Although Wayside Stories is a good read, I choose The Watsons go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis (224 pgs). Funny and has ridiculously long chapter titles.

And finally today I spent 4 hours finishing The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (543 pgs). It pokes at everything in the world that need to be poked at. Religion, food production, politics, health, school. If you haven't read it, go read it now.

3 comments:

tamie marie said...

I have hereby decided to read The Poisonwood Bible, just because you recommended it. Must finish Zora Neale Hurston first. must!

Miich said...

oh, i can't wait. we will have a long discussion over tea when you finish it! i really want to hear what you think.

tamie marie said...

sounds great. a long discussion over tea. i'll let you know...