Saturday, March 1, 2008

Growing Food, Growing Children, Growing Evil. Reading Magazines. Chocolate and Grammar.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver with Steven L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver
The authors' family tries to eat locally for an entire year and also try to grow/raise their own food. Lots of great info here -- I think it's a good book for anyone to read, simply to think more about where the food that you are eating comes from (and how much petroleum is used to get it to you.) I made the spinach lasagna recipe tonight and it was absolutely lovely. Yum. I've never made lasagna before, either! 354 pages

The Unprocessed Child: Living Without School by Valerie Fitzenreiter
Excellent -- obviously an unschooling book, but also (in my opinion) just an amazing parenting book. In fact, I think anyone who will interact with any child for more than 5 hours should read it. It's one of those books where just reading a paragraph gives me a fresh perspective and enables me to keep trying to be the parent I want to be (much like Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline.) The author unschooled her daughter, who is now an adult. 241 pages

Added on March 2nd:

A Special Mission: Hitler's Secret Plot to Seize the Vatican and Kidnap Pope Pius XII by Dan Kurzman
More non-fiction. Wasn't as compelling as it could have been, but interesting. 247 pages.

Added on March 5:

The February issue of The Sun. Man, I love this magazine. Tamie introduced us to it several years ago and Jeremy got me a subscription for Christmas -- Good gift, husband! 48 pages.

The March-April issue of Mothering. Another good magazine. If you need a introductory lesson on cloth diapers or starter foods for babies, this would be a great issue for you. At the risk of offending someone here, let me just say -- this magazine is nothing like your average magazine aimed towards parents. It's good stuff. I would say that every issue has at least one article that would be appealing even if you don't have children. 104 pages, I'll take off 50 for ads, just to be safe ~ 54 pages.

Added March 7th:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl -- Just finished reading this one aloud with my daughter. 162 pages

When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech for Better and/or Worse by Ben Yagoda
This book was really really fun to read. (It was our bathroom book for a while.) One of the highlights for me was learning that ampersand (&) was once considered the 27th letter of the alphabet and was pronounced "and". When children were saying the alphabet, they would end with "and, per se, 'and'" and from that we've gotten "ampersand". Someone out there has to be as fascinated by this as I was...Right? 241 pages.

No comments: