Sunday, February 17, 2008

Jeremy and the Book That Disappeared

A. J. Jacobs, The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World. It may just be my field, but I didn't like this one quite as much as The Year of Living Biblically. More neurosis and Hollywood, less personal reflection. Still cute, though - and you do gather some interesting trivia since Jacobs has done the work of reading the Encyclopedia Britannica all the way through for you. 288 pgs.

Annie Proulx, Close Range: Wyoming Stories. The collection that has the original short story "Brokeback Mountain" appears in. All right, I'm having trouble with my life. But not in the same way that a horribly injured rodeo rider does. Or a persecuted inbred adolescent. Or a gay cowboy. Don't read these if you are depressed. Or an inbred rodeo-riding teenaged bruised gay cowboy (because you know these experiences already). I did identify with waiting a long time at Denver International Airport, though. 285 pgs.

And here's the amazing thing, folks - when you read this much, sometimes it doesn't even make an impression. Between Jacobs and Brokeback Mountain I lost a book. I definitely read it and shelved it somewhere, but I have no idea what it was. I guess it wasn't good enough to make an impression.

No comments: