Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I promise, I've got a non-fiction one to post soon.

Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark
An excellent example of where I go for my trash reading. A woman's brother disappeared 10 years ago, when he was 21, but calls their mother every year on Mother's Day. She determines to find him and in the process, the police begin to suspect that he is involved with a series of murders that have taken place during his disappearance. I wish I could make it sound more high-brow than that, but there you have it. 289 pages

The Eye of Jade by Diane Wei Liang
the first in a new mystery series -- been billed as China's answer to the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency -- maybe that's why it was just okay for me. Probably won't pursue the rest in the series, but I did get a good quote from it:


All I'm saying is that sometimes being part of something painful is in fact what helps us to survive. It helps us go on with our lives.
256 pages.

The Outcast by Sadie Jones 345 pages

The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary 158 pages

Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell
interesting fiction about a teacher from Ohio who goes to the middle east after WWI and becomes acquainted with T.E. Lawrence and Winston Churchill. Part of the author's point is how much of our present comes from our past (generally of course, but specifically with regard to world history.) 249 pages

April edition of The Sun
Mentioned by Tamie previously. 48 pages.


Buffy in Denver

No comments: